Growth Hormone or Testosterone for Larger Muscles?
For bodybuilders and athletes who are looking to increase their muscle mass, supplemental hormone usage is a common aid when paired with a healthy diet and regular exercise. However, not all natural hormones are equal in their effectiveness for muscle gain. When deciding between Growth Hormone and Testosterone, consider the pros and cons of each before making your decision.
Growth Hormone, abbreviated as GH, is a hormone that stimulates the body’s growth, particularly with cell reproduction and regeneration. GH was originally used as a treatment for growth deficiencies in children, but now is used to treat adults as well. The Human GH, abbreviated as HGH, which is made as a supplement, aids in muscle repair and recovery by increasing the development of muscle. While the supplemental form for anti-aging benefits is under legal scrutiny, it can be medically prescribed by a doctor for symptoms of growth deficiencies.
Pros for Muscle Gain:
- Increases Lean Muscle Mass: According to a study by Dr. Daniel Rudman, which was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, a six-month trial of HGH dosages on selected male participants increased their lean muscle mass by 8.8 percent.
- Accelerates Muscle Healing: According to research by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, GH stimulates the collagen synthesis in muscle, making torn and damaged muscles heal more quickly.
- Increases Risk of Severe Side Effects: According to WedMD, HGH can lead to the increased risk of both diabetes and cancerous tumors within the body.
- Restricted Usage: The Food and Drug Administration, abbreviated as FDA, has approved HGH for treating growth deficiencies; however, the synthetic form can only be administered by a doctor for medical reasons (not off-brand reasons like anti-aging). Sports associations and the Olympics have banned usage—even for medical reasons—this drug.
Testosterone is a naturally produced steroid that acts as a hormone within the body. Although this hormone is present in both males and females, testosterone is primarily a male sex hormone. It serves to help regulate the metabolism, muscle trophism, and physical energy of the body. When levels are low within the body, Testosterone can be taken as a supplement as a way to boost workout results, such as increased muscle growth and reduced body fat.
Pros for Muscle Gain:
- Increases Muscle Mass and Strength: According to a study by Researchers at Beth Isreal Deaconess Medical Center, muscle mass significantly increased in those treated with testosterone supplements versus those who didn’t.
- Decreases Recovery Time: According to researchers reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, testosterone enables athletes to train for hours day after day with little need to rest their bodies in between workouts.
- May Lead to Cancer: According to The Journal of Urology, prostate cancer has been linked to men who use testosterone supplementation. Specifically, the study concluded that a total of 20 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer after initial testosterone therapy.
- Restricted Usage: As with HGH, synthetic Testosterone injections are also closely restricted where it’s only available by prescription from a doctor for medical reasons. Also, sports associations consider this drug as performance enhancer, therefore banning its usage.
Although HGH functions slightly more in favor of muscle mass growth than Testosterone, there are no substantial studies that prove its effectiveness for muscle growth over Testosterone. Furthermore, usage ultimately depends on whether or not a person has a hormone deficiency in HGH or Testosterone. Therefore, a doctor should be consulted before supplemental hormone usage.
There are natural and over the counter products that can help you boost both testosterone and growth hormone, also simply working out intensely can increase your test/hgh output.
High T Black All Natural Testosterone Booster is a highly rated product on Amazon.